tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Feature: Terrier

Friday Feature is where we share books we love that have been out for several years. We don't want these treasures to get lost just because they aren't babies anymore!


Terrier (Beka Cooper, #1)
by Tamora Pierce

529 pages
Published October 24, 2006

Tamora Pierce begins a new Tortall trilogy introducing Beka Cooper, an amazing young woman who lived 200 years before Pierce's popular Alanna character. For the first time, Pierce employs first-person narration in a novel, bringing readers even closer to a character that they will love for her unusual talents and tough personality.

Beka Cooper is a rookie with the law-enforcing Provost's Guard, and she's been assigned to the Lower City. It's a tough beat that's about to get tougher, as Beka's limited ability to communicate with the dead clues her in to an underworld conspiracy. Someone close to Beka is using dark magic to profit from the Lower City's criminal enterprises—and the result is a crime wave the likes of which the Provost's Guard has never seen before.

***

I don't know if 5 years counts as several years, but as this isn't a new release, I decided I could use it as a feature.

This book practically jumped off the shelf at me when I was browsing a little bookstore in Bermuda. I had to have it. I'd never read any of Ms. Pierce's books, despite having them recommended to me for years, and let me tell you: I was missing out.

Beka Cooper's story is written in journal form, which doesn't work for me very often. In fact, this is the only book I'd read where I didn't just toss the book aside. (I've since only read one other--the book that continues this story.) In this case, however, it's handled so expertly that I can't imagine the story being portrayed in any other way.

There world is so rich I can smell it, feel it, and believe I'm actually there. I have to admit, as much as I love Beka--she is a fantastic character--I also read this book for a Rosto fix.

If you enjoy mystery, intrigue, friendship, that thin gray line between black and white--I could go on and on, but I don't want to give anything away--this book is for you.

5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment