tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Between


Between
by Cyndi Tefft

724 pages
Published April 5, 2011

It just figures that the love of Lindsey Water's life isn't alive at all, but the grim reaper, complete with a dimpled smile and Scottish accent.

After transporting souls to heaven for the last 300 years, Aiden MacRae has all but given up on finding the one whose love will redeem him and allow him entry through the pearly gates.

Torn between her growing attraction to Aiden and heaven's siren song, Lindsey must learn the hard way whether love really can transcend all boundaries.

***

The characters in this book are alive--well, they should be, even if they're actually dead. (And it never hurts to throw a Scottish accent in there. Just sayin'.)

How do I sum up this book? As fun as it was, the first part of it had me wondering if the entire book was going to be spent jumping from memories to recreations of worlds. Yes, I understand that we were getting background on the characters, and learning about what kind of people they are. And the author showed great research in her portrayal of the different eras and experiences. Still, I wished Lindsey and Aiden would settle into place a bit.

And then, they did. Once the characters settle into the cabin, I felt I could appreciate the story more. Once Lindsey and Aiden were separated, I felt the urgency of the book, trying to figure out how things would work out.

I admit, I've been waffling for a few days on how to rate this book. I've finally settled on

4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment