tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Always a Witch (revisited)


Always a Witch (Witch #2)



Hardcover288pages
Published August 1st 2011 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

The adventures of Tam and Gabriel continue with more time travel, Talents, spy work, and of course, the evil Knights.

Since the gripping conclusion of Once A Witch, Tamsin Greene has been haunted by her grandmother's prophecy that she will soon be forced to make a crucial decision—one so terrible that it could harm her family forever. When she discovers that her enemy, Alistair Knight, went back in time to Victorian-era New York in order to destroy her family, Tamsin is forced to follow him into the past. Stranded all alone in the nineteenth century, Tamsin soon finds herself disguised as a lady's maid in the terrifying mansion of the evil Knight family, avoiding the watchful eye of the vicious matron, La Spider, and fending off the advances of Liam Knight. As time runs out, both families square off in a thrilling display of magic. And to her horror, Tamsin finally understands the nature of her fateful choice.

***

I didn't realize this book was part of a series so I hadn't read the first book. That having been said, Always a Witch can totally stand alone. I never felt like I was missing background information or details that would've changed my experience with this book. The plot is really fun and creative with lots of unique lines. While I was reading, I was asked a few times what was so funny because I was laughing out loud! It was fun to see the variety and different natures of the Talents held by the characters. I love how the prophecy given by Tamsin's grandmother drives the story, answers long-held questions and ultimately ties together Tamsin's past, present and future. Even though I know how the story ends, I am definitely reading the first book, Once a Witch, as soon as I can!

4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment