tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Monday, November 21, 2011

Fury

Fury (The Fury Trilogy, #1)
by Elizabeth Miles

352 pages
Published August 30, 2011

Sometimes sorry isn't enough....

It’s winter break in Ascension, Maine. The snow is falling and everything looks pristine and peaceful. But not all is as it seems...

Between cozy traditions and parties with her friends, Emily loves the holidays. And this year’s even better--the guy she’s been into for months is finally noticing her. But Em knows if she starts things with him, there’s no turning back. Because his girlfriend is Em’s best friend.

On the other side of town, Chase is having problems of his own. The stress of his home life is starting to take its toll, and his social life is unraveling. But that’s nothing compared to what’s really haunting him. Chase has done something cruel...something the perfect guy he pretends to be would never do. And it’s only a matter of time before he’s exposed.

In Ascension, mistakes can be deadly. And three girls—three beautiful, mysterious girls—are here to choose who will pay.

Em and Chase have been chosen.


* * *


I'm not finishing this book, after reading the first half. I hate to do that, and I almost never do---instead, I usually force myself to finish a book, even if I don't like it or can't connect to it, just in case it gets better. Sometimes I don't like anything until the last page, which is sad to me.

Why am I not doing that with this book? It isn't at all what I'd hoped for. I'd heard so many great things about this book, but I have to admit, I was disappointed.

SPOILERS!!!!
The first half of this book--the part I've read--is full of teenagers partying, drinking, and trying to get each others clothes off. At first I thought it was just setting it up for this fury to come in and start the revenge. Maybe it is, but after 190 pages, it's still going on.

I loved the cover, which is the main reason I wanted to read it. In fact, even now, looking at the cover, I think it looks like an amazing story, and I want to read it. Too bad I know better.


Since I couldn't make myself finish, I will refrain from rating this book.

1 comment:

  1. The job of the furies is to seek revenge for those who they feel need it against those they deserve it. This whole book has a creepy movie feel to it. I could actually see it come out on the big screen. Although the characters so so many wrong things and justify it to make you hate them they are so wonderfully developed you can¿t help love them. This is the first book in this series and it will definitely not be the last one I read. The ending definitely leaves you hanging for more. Definitely one to recommend to all of your friends who like creepy, paranormal, mythical type things.

    ReplyDelete