tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Monday, November 7, 2011

The Death Cure

The Death Cure (Maze Runner, #3)
by James Dashner

384 pages
Published October 11, 2011

Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?


* * *

I have a problem.

When I like a series, I look forward to the next book. I build it up in my mind, imagining how fantastic it will be. It's not nice of me to set my expectations so high, especially when all too often those expectations aren't met.

I absolutely loved the first book in this trilogy. The second was almost as good. This one didn't quite cut it for me.

Yes, the writing was great. I just didn't connect with the characters as well in this one.

That doesn't mean I think it was a flop. The story is still good, I enjoyed learning what happened, I'm sad there won't be another one. I just wish it was as slap-me-upside-the-head amazing as the first one.

4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment