tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Guest Post from Author Graham J. Sharpe

Today we have author Graham J. Sharpe stopping by. His book, Purple, is a creative fantasy novel that you should definitely check out.  Here's a link to our review.





Finding a Creative Outlet


Getting things off our chest can sometimes be the most liberating feeling a human can have and it can be as simple as writing, painting, drawing, or dancing…whatever type of creative outlet is right for you.

Writing is a passion of mine and it took me years to allow myself to own that. After I stopped writing and producing with a touring theater group I began working as a flight attendant. Eventually, I realized that I really missed having a creative outlet. Now, I combine travel with writing and after completing my first novel Purple I finally feel like I’m following my passion.

When I started using my down time from flying to write, I simply began jotting down stories and memories from my life. I found it to be fun and therapeutic. The plot for Purple took time to grow and mature an in the beginning I had no idea how it would develop. After three years of writing I had the rough draft of a story that excited me. Four years later, I finished Purple.

Working for an airline can sometimes be distracting. The travelling and flying (not to mention the constant jetlag) also explain why it took me a few years to write Purple. There were periods of time when I left it alone, but I’d always come back to it. Some people manage to work to a deadline, but I think it’s important not to give yourself a set due date when you’re doing something creative.

Writing was, and still is, my creative outlet. I’m lucky enough to have turned it into a career even though I’ve doubted myself. I always thought to myself, “Who am I to write a book?” but the sad reality is that so many people with degrees are struggling to find jobs. If you’re like me and don’t have a university degree don’t let that stand in your way of doing what you love.

If you are ever in a rut or feel like a part of you is being taken away by society, I suggest taking a step back and reflecting on your life and your surroundings and learning from it. Allowing myself the time to indulge in something I feel passionate about has been great for my self-esteem and confidence. 
Creative outlets can help us tie up the loose ends in our life or, at the least, help us to clear our head. For me, the thing I love is writing. I love to sit and write and get lost in a world that I’ve created. Get lost in your own world – you’ll be thankful you did. 




No comments:

Post a Comment