tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Torment

Torment (Fallen, #2)
by Lauren Kate

452 pages
Published

Hell on earth.

That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.
It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts—immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something—something dangerous.
What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.


* * *

Yes, I enjoyed the first book in the series, Fallen. That said, it doesn't hold a candle to Torment. I seriously loved this book. It was much more engaging, and I found that I cared more about what was going on.


Fallen angels on both sides of the war have made a truce and are working together to protect Luce, who is their only hope of redemption. I haven't figured out WHY this single human should be their only chance, but that didn't really bother me. Call me crazy.


As in the first book, I loved the characters, especially some we hadn't seen before.


I'm left with one question: What does it say about me that I so fully enjoyed a book with this title?


5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment