tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Apothecary's Daughter


The Apothecary's Daughter

Hardcover, 415 pages
Published January 1st 2009 by Bethany House Publishers

Lilly Haswell remembers everything--whether she wants to, or not...

As Lilly toils in her father's apothecary, preparing herbs and remedies by rote, she is haunted by memories of her mother's disappearance. Villagers whisper the tale, but her father refuses to discuss it. All the while, she dreams of the world beyond--of travel and adventure and romance.

When a relative offers to host her in London, Lilly discovers the pleasures and pitfalls of fashionable society and suitors, as well as clues about her mother. But will Lilly find what she is searching for--the truth of the past and a love for the future?

Blending romance, family drama, and fascinating historical detail, The Apothecary's Daughter is a novel to savor and share.

Discussion questions included.

***

This work of historical fiction completely drew me in and transported me to another time and place. The characters are realistic and have personalities, struggles and hopes that relate to us today. From first picking it up, I thought that I would enjoy the story but I didn't expect to be drawn in and staying up way too late to see what happens next! It was fun to get a glimpse into what life in an old apothecary might be like. The story is unpredictable and kept me guessing. I loved that the writing style reflected the reservations of the day- romantic but not tarnished with anything explicit. If I had a teenage daughter, I would feel comfortable letting her read this- and I'd read it again too! I'll be looking for more from this author.

5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment