tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday Feature: Enna Burning

Friday Feature is where we share books we love that have been out for several years. We don't want these treasures to get lost just because they aren't babies anymore!


Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
by Shannon Hale


336 pages
Published November 15, 2004


Enna and Princess Isi became fast friends in The Goose Girl, but after Isi married Prince Geric, Enna returned to the forest. Enna's simple life changes forever when she learns to wield fire and burn anything at will. Enna is convinced that she can use her ability for good--to fight Tira, the kingdom threatening the Bayern borders--and goes on secret raids to set fire to the Tiran camps and villages. But as the power of the fire grows stronger, she is less able to control her need to burn. In her recklessness she is captured by the Tiran army and held captive by a handsome, manipulative young captain who drugs her to keep her under his influence. Can Isi and her old friends Finn and Razo rescue her without sacrificing themselves? And with the fire still consuming her, will Enna find a way to manage the gift that threatens to destroy her?

* * *

I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this one the first time I read it. I loved Goose Girl, and I wanted to continue Ani/Isi's story.

I loved it, of course. Shannon Hale's writing is so beautiful, the world is so rich, the characters so alive. I've heard that this is her least-popular book, and I honestly don't understand why. I was grabbed right away and could barely bring myself to set the book down.

The ability Enna gains in this book is really quite interesting--although it's not something I'd ever wish for. I loved that it had the ability to be so destructive, yet she manages to keep remarkable control over it. Yes, she slips up, but over-all it really shows her strength.

One of my favorite characters in this one is Finn. He's so patient and tries so hard, even knowing he may never get his reward. He is a good-through-his-bones kind of guy.


I'd have to say that this is my favorite of The Books of Bayern.

5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment