tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Crossed

Crossed (Matched, #2)
by Ally Condie

367 pages
Published November 1, 2011

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.


* * *
I've heard several people say they didn't enjoy Crossed as much as they did Matched. After reading it, my reaction was: "Were they reading some other book named Crossed?"

Call me crazy, but I loved this book. My one complaint: I could have done with a touch less of wandering through the canyon. Other than that, I had a hard time putting it down.

I think the biggest thing to be prepared for is that while this is a continuation of the "love story" part of Matched, this isn't your typical romance. There's rebellion, and characters having to face decisions they've made. There are secrets, and certain truths are revealed. At the end, I was left wondering just who to trust.

So many times, the middle book of a trilogy drops off and isn't at all what I hoped. This time, I was NOT disappointed!

5/5 stars

1 comment: