tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Amaranth Enchantment


The Amaranth Enchantment
by Julie Berry

320 pages
Published March 3, 2009

When Lucinda Chapdelaine was a small child, her parents left for the royal ball and never returned. Ever since, Lucinda has been stuck in perpetual servitude at her evil aunt’s jewelry store.
Then, on the very same day, a mysterious visitor and an even more bizarre piece of jewelry both enter the shop, setting in motion a string of twists and turns that will forever alter Lucinda’s path.
In this magical story filled with delightful surprises, Lucinda will dance at the royal ball, fall under the Amaranth Witch’s spell, avenge her parents’ death, and maybe — just maybe — capture the heart of a prince.

***

I absolutely love this book. I couldn't put it down. I read it in less than a day, and immediately turned back to the start for a second time through.

This is Julie Berry's debut novel, and the writing is fantastic. I always love a good fairytale, and this couldn't disappoint. I'm very influenced by cover art, and the second I saw this on one of my friend's to-read list I knew I had to read it, too. Then I saw what it was about and couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

Lucinda Chapdelaine's parents died in a carriage accident when she was just five. Sent to live with her uncle and his wife, she had a hard childhood. When her uncle dies, her aunt kicks her out of the house, but not before Lucinda is thrown into a bit of a mystery involving theft, an unusual gem, the Amaranth Witch, a villain who's managed to deceive everyone--including the king. And then there's the prince, of course. A perfect prince, who Lucinda knew as a child, and who's now engaged to a perfect princess.

I can't say enough good about this one. I think everyone needs to read it!

5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment