tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Monday, February 10, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green


HardcoverFirst Edition313 pages
Published January 10th 2012 by Dutton Books

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

***

I did NOT like this book.  At all.  In fact, hate is probably a better word.  I wish I hadn't read it.  I know, I'm in the minority on this one.  

For some, I'm sure it's an insight to the heartbreak and struggles of those suffering from cancer.  For me, it's way too close to home.  I can't approach this book without my own raw emotions surfacing and some of the implications made by the author truly bothered me.  Overall, it portrays the unfairness of illness and the devastation it brings.  All of that is true.  However, it seems to be more focused on portraying a message and on being philosophical than seems balanced.  In a book like this, humor can be a major asset.  However, I felt that it was ill-applied in this story.  

?/5 stars  (ironic, I can't even come up with a number of stars for a book about "stars")

No comments:

Post a Comment