tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Bitterblue

Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3)
by Kristin Cashore

545 pages
Published May 1, 2012

Eight years after Graceling, Bitterblue is now queen of Monsea. But the influence of her father, a violent psychopath with mind-altering abilities, lives on. Her advisors, who have run things since Leck died, believe in a forward-thinking plan: Pardon all who committed terrible acts under Leck’s reign, and forget anything bad ever happened. But when Bitterblue begins sneaking outside the castle—disguised and alone—to walk the streets of her own city, she starts realizing that the kingdom has been under the thirty-five-year spell of a madman, and the only way to move forward is to revisit the past.

Two thieves, who only steal what has already been stolen, change her life forever. They hold a key to the truth of Leck’s reign. And one of them, with an extreme skill called a Grace that he hasn’t yet identified, holds a key to her heart.


* * *

I don't like waiting for books. I mean, I really don't like it. And, if you've been following this series, you know that the second book has been out since Oct. 2009. That's over two years that I've been (somewhat) patiently waiting for Bitterblue.

It was worth every second.

I have to admit, I've followed Ms. Cashore's writing (and her blog) ever since I picked up her first book as a new release. Amazing writing! She very quickly earned my trust as a reader. She is one of the rare authors I allow to have full control of my reading experience. I let her to take me wherever she chooses, and I've never not enjoyed the ride.

Bitterblue is full of great characters, intrigue, romance (in the perfect amount). Katsa and Po are back!!! and Bitterblue is definitely coming into her own as a queen. I love that she gets upset over the things she doesn't know, and sets out to solve the problems. And there are some big problems she has to deal with. Huge.

After 545 pages, I wanted nothing more than to keep reading. Whatever comes next, wherever Ms. Cashore takes me, I'm excited for it. And I'll wait, for as long as it takes, without getting too impatient.

5+/5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read this one! It sounds like it was worth the wait! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete