tHe crooKed WorD

As of April 30, 2014 we will no longer be posting reviews on tHe crooKed WorD. Reading is like breathing for us - and discovering new books and authors has been a wonderful adventure - but the time has come for us to move on. Thank you for your support, for allowing us into your lives, and for letting us influence in some small way the contents of your bookshelves.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Fire


Fire (The Seven Kingdoms, #2)
by Kristen Cashore

461 pages
Published September 24, 2009

Beautiful creatures called monsters live in the Dells. Monsters have the shape of normal animals: mountain lions, dragonflies, horses, fish. But the hair or scales or feathers of monsters are gorgeously colored-- fuchsia, turquoise, sparkly bronze, iridescent green-- and their minds have the power to control the minds of humans.

Seventeen-year-old Fire is the last remaining human-shaped monster in the Dells. Gorgeously monstrous in body and mind but with a human appreciation of right and wrong, she is hated and mistrusted by just about everyone, and this book is her story.

***

After looking forward to this book for as long as I did, and having such insane expectations, I worried. And I worried some more. Then I read the prologue and first two chapters that Cashore linked to on her blog. After that, my expectations got even higher. And I got antsier.

I honestly don't see how this book could disappoint. Period.

Fire's story is fun, exciting, adventurous and heart-breaking. It's also a little more mature than GRACELING, for anyone out there wanting such a warning. However, I thought everything was handled well, and everything is there for a reason.

Going into FIRE I knew the cross-over character was Leck. And that was one of the things that worried me. I didn't want the story to be entirely about him--I was worried he'd take over. So I was pleasantly surprised that while he certainly had his part to play, his appearances were fairly short--which is good, since that kid really freaks me out.

If you liked GRACELING, you'll love FIRE. If you haven't read GRACELING, FIRE will still make sense and be a fantastic story. And if you haven't read either of them yet, get to it! You're missing out.

5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment